10 Signs Your Need to Replace Your Metal Roofing
- On May 5, 2023
Metal roofs can last for decades. In fact, high-quality metal roofs can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years, making them much more durable than other roofing materials. But just because a metal roof is long-lasting doesn’t mean it will last forever. Despite their durability, a metal roof can still be damaged. As such, it’s essential to be aware of the warning signs that indicate when it’s time to replace a metal roof. With that in mind, the following are ten warning signs to look out for:
10 Signs You Need New Metal Roof Panels
It’s easy to take your metal roof for granted because of how damage-resistant and long-lasting metal roofing materials are compared to other types of roofing materials (such as asphalt shingles, for example). However, it’s important that you be able to visually inspect your roof for potential problems occasionally. The following are a few things that you should look for to determine if you need new metal roof panels:
- Old Age: Metal roof panels can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years, but eventually, they will need to be replaced. If your metal roof is getting up there in age, it’s a good idea to have it inspected and possibly replaced. Generally speaking, you should consider hiring a professional roof inspector to come to evaluate your metal roof once it’s a couple of decades old. This is especially true if you live in an environment where your roof is exposed to extreme weather and temperatures.
- Worn Paint: Metal roofs are normally painted with a waterproof coating. If you notice the paint on your metal roof panels is beginning to chip or fade, it might be a good idea to consider replacing them. This is because worn paint can lead to rust and other forms of corrosion that can weaken and damage the structural integrity of your roof over time.
- Corrosion and Rust of Metal Roof Panels: Rust and corrosion are two of the most common signs of a metal roof in need of replacement. If you notice any rust spots or areas where the metal has corroded, then it’s likely time to replace your metal roof panels. If you don’t replace them, the corrosion will only get worse, eventually exposing your roof to potential water damage.
- Leaks: If your metal roof is leaking, then it’s a sure sign that you need to replace the panels. Metal roofs are built to be waterproof, so if you notice any leakage, it’s a sign that the panels have become compromised and need to be replaced. Typically, a leak is a good indication that your roof is rusting or corroding or that there are damaged or warped panels exposing your roof to water leaks.
- Punctures and Tears: You should never go up on your roof yourself; however, if you can spot punctures or tears in your roof panels from the ground, then they need to be replaced. This type of damage can be caused when a repair person walks on your roof or from hail and other debris, causing impact damage. If you don’t replace them, these panels will expose your home to potential leaks.
- Storm Damage: You should always check your roof for damage after a storm. If you notice any dents, holes, or missing panels on your metal roof, then it’s time to replace them. Otherwise, water can get in, which could lead to more extensive and expensive damage down the road.
- Sagging Roof: Metal roofs don’t typically sag because of how durable they are. However, in the rare case that you notice your metal roof starting to sag, then it’s a good indication that you need to replace the roof. Sagging generally means that there is a big problem with your roof and its foundational supports. This problem could be caused by broken support or extensive rot or corrosion, to name a few possible issues.
- Missing Metal Roof Panels: If you spot missing roof panels, you should have them replaced right away. Not only does a missing panel expose your roof to water damage and other issues, but it makes the surrounding panels more vulnerable to damage as well.
- Loose Metal Roof Panels: It’s a little harder to identify a loose metal roof panel from the ground; however, if you suspect that any of your metal roof panels are loose, you should have them replaced. You won’t be able to reseal a loose panel onto the roof, making it vulnerable to potential damage.
- Changes to Your Home’s Internal Temperature: Metal roofs tend to be excellent insulators. If you notice a drastic change in temperature inside your home that you can’t control, it could be because an issue with your roof is allowing inside air to escape and outside air to come in. For example, if you can’t seem to keep your home warm in the winter or cool in the summer — and those temperature changes are even more prominent in the attic — it could be because your roof is failing.
Ironclad Roofing Offers Everlasting Metal Roofing Panels
Metal roofs are designed to last for decades on end. They are superior to other types of roofing materials because of their durability and their resistance to all kinds of damage. Despite this, metal roofs are not invulnerable. If you have a metal roof, then it’s important that you periodically do a visual inspection for any warning signs indicating that your metal roofing panels need to be replaced.
Here at Ironclad Roofing, we offer a variety of high-quality metal roofing systems for you to choose from. Our panels are designed to provide superior protection against the elements and will last you for years to come. We also offer installation services so that you can get your new roof up and running quickly. If you think it’s time for you to replace your metal roof, then contact us at Ironclad Roofing today by filling out our online form or by calling us directly at 905-752-4685 today.