Guide to Choosing the Right Metal Roof Colour
- On April 10, 2023
When it comes to metal, a lot of people think of a silver-coloured material that looks cold and unappealing. Fortunately, metal roofing is not limited in this way. Metal roofing comes in a wide array of colours that are sure to match any home and taste. In fact, there are more colour options available for metal roofs than there are for any other type of roofing material.
While many homeowners are still choosing conservative earth tones, the aesthetic flexibility of metal roofing has led to a rise in bolder choices that make a statement. However, because your metal roof will last a lifetime, it’s important that you choose a colour that will still appeal to you for years to come.
How to Choose the Right Metal Roof Colour
The last thing you want to do is choose a metal roof colour that ends up not working with the style of your home or that you’ll grow tired of within a short period of time. With that in mind, the following are a few tips on how to choose the right metal roof colour:
- Coordination: The style and colour of your metal roof should coordinate with the existing colours and styles of your home. For example, if you’ve used a bold colour for your front door and a few of the other decorative elements on your home’s exterior, matching your roof to that colour can help create a more cohesive look.
- Contrast: Contrast is important when it comes to the overall visual balance of your home. If there’s no contrast, meaning that the roof is the exact same colour as your home’s exterior siding, then it will make your home look visually bland. Adding contrast helps create visual depth and interest and will help highlight architectural details throughout your home.
- Curb Appeal: Curb appeal refers to how your home looks from the street. If the homes on your street all use more natural colours, then choosing a bolder colour will make your house stick out, but not always in a good way. Your house should complement the rest of the homes on your street to ensure a strong curb appeal.
- Climate: Where you live will also play a major role in your choice of metal roof colour. Darker-coloured roofs, like black or dark shades of grey and brown, absorb more heat than lighter-coloured roofs. However, a light-coloured roof can still work in a colder climate if you have proper insulation, and a dark-coloured roof can work in a warmer climate if you have proper ventilation.
- Complement the Neighbourhood: Although you may want something slightly unique, there’s a level of conformity that you should strive for when choosing a metal roof colour. This conformity refers to choosing a roof that complements your existing home style and the home styles in your neighbourhood.
- Careful Attention: Remember that the colour you choose may not look like that colour once the roof is actually installed. This is because the roof will be exposed to different levels of lighting throughout the day, making the roof look like it may be a different shade. As such, you should inspect a sample of the actual metal roofing material in real lighting conditions before making your final decision.
Why Black Metal Roof Colour is Popular in Canada
In Canada, black roofing is one of the most popular colour options. There are several reasons for this:
- Canada is a colder climate, and black helps absorb heat.
- Black is a timeless colour that will always look great.
- Black adds immediate contrast, thereby providing visual interest to your home.
- Black complements everything, which means it fits almost every home style.
Browse Through Our Popular Metal Roof Colours
At Ironclad Roofing, we offer a variety of different metal roof colours to choose from. Our colour options include Onyx (black), Umber (brown), Ruby (red), and Jasper (dark grey). For more information about our metal roof systems or the colours that we offer, be sure to contact us online at Ironclad Roofing or call us at 905-752-4685 to request an estimate.