The Ultimate Guide to Metal Roof Ridge Vents
- On February 5, 2023
When it comes to keeping your roof in good condition, one of the most important factors to consider is roof ventilation. Without proper airflow, roofing systems can quickly become damaged by moisture build-up and other common problems. Luckily, there are several ventilation solutions on the market that can help keep your roof healthy. One of these solutions is a ridge vent, which is one of the most popular ventilation options for homes.
What is the Purpose of a Ridge Vent?
A ridge vent is a type of attic ventilation system that runs along the peak or “ridge” of your roof. This type of vent is designed to provide an active ventilation system that allows air to flow in and out of the attic space.
By promoting airflow, ridge vents can help keep your roof dry and cool by eliminating heat and moisture build-up, which can cause various roofing issues, such as mold and rot. It also helps to regulate the temperature within the attic space, which can help reduce your overall heating and cooling costs.
How is Metal Roof Ridge Vent Beneficial?
Investing in a ridge vent for your metal roof can be incredibly useful. By helping ventilate your attic space, a ridge vent can provide the following benefits:
- Expand the Life of the Roof: One of the most important benefits of a metal roof ridge vent is that it can help prolong your roof’s life. By promoting airflow and preventing moisture build-up, it helps prevent common damage such as mold and rot, which can weaken and damage your roof over time.
- Enjoy an Energy-Efficient Home: Installing a ridge vent in your attic can also help make your home more energy efficient. Providing ventilation and regulating the temperature helps reduce the need for additional heating or cooling, which can save you money on utility bills.
- Ridge Vent for Metal Roof Is Quick & Easy to Install: Another great benefit of a ridge vent is that it can be installed quickly and easily. Ridge vents come in easy-to-install panels, making them an ideal solution for metal roofs.
- No Maintenance Required: After you install a metal roof ridge vent, there is typically no maintenance required. These systems are designed to provide long-term ventilation and protection for your roof, so you won’t have to worry about it once installed.
- Improve Attic Ventilation: Metal roof ridge vents can help improve the ventilation of your attic space. Helping improve airflow and regulate temperature helps ensure that your attic is well-ventilated and cool. As a result, your attic doesn’t have to be relegated to an unused space or a makeshift storage area. You can easily turn it into another room that’s comfortable to use.
- Keep Pests Out of Your Attic: Installing a metal roof ridge vent can also help to keep pests out of your attic. By promoting airflow, it helps eliminate the warm, moist conditions that pests like mice and insects thrive in. As such, you won’t have to worry about these unwanted visitors making their way into your home.
- Helps to Improve Quality: Finally, adding a metal roof ridge vent can also help improve the overall quality of your home. Providing ventilation and regulating temperature helps keep your roof in good condition, which in turn makes sure that your home is safe and comfortable to live in.
Steps to Install a Metal Roof Ridge Vent
As previously mentioned, installing a ridge vent on your metal roof is relatively easy. However, this doesn’t mean you should do it yourself. To ensure it’s done safely and correctly, have a professional install your metal roof ridge vent. With that in mind, the following are the steps to install a metal roof ridge vent:
- To ensure proper installation, there needs to be a two-inch wide opening at the ridge for ventilation.
- The ridge vent needs to be rolled out along the length of both sides of the ridge cap.
- After the ridge vent is rolled out, the ridge cap needs to be installed.
- The next step is to install the fastening strips. These are used to secure the ridge vent in place and should be installed according to manufacturer instructions.
- Once the ridge vent and fastening strips have been installed, there will be a gap between the two sides of the roof at the peak. This gap needs to be filled with an appropriate sealant or weatherproofing material.
Factors to Determine Metal Roof Ridge Vent Costs
Generally speaking, it’s best to consult a professional for an accurate assessment of cost. With that in mind, the following are the three primary factors that will affect the cost of a metal roof ridge vent:
- Size of the Roof: The larger the area, the more material you will need. Not to mention that it will take longer to install, which means labour will cost more as well.
- Type of Roof: Not every roof is built the same. Some roofs have steep slopes, some have complex designs, and some are made from different materials. All of these factors will affect the cost of a ridge vent installation.
- Labour: As mentioned above, the labour involved in installing a ridge vent will depend on the size and complexity of the roof. The longer it takes, the more it will cost. However, other factors can contribute to the labour cost as well, such as the cost of living in your area and how difficult the job is going to be.
We Offer a Unique Ridge Vent System for Maximum Ventilation
At Ironclad Roofing, we offer a unique ridge vent system that provides maximum ventilation and protection. We use high-grade materials, and our experienced professionals ensure the job is done right. We aim to make sure your metal roof is safe, secure, and well-ventilated for years to come.